Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Off to new opportunities! Congratulations, Trevor!

(Posting from Trevor Barkley, in an email sent to Haultain families on August 23.)

Dear families:

I have composed many messages during my career; some for grade six farewell ceremonies, some for orientation evenings, some for opening assemblies, and some for start of the year inspirations. I find this communication particularly challenging, filled with mixed emotions.

After six wonderful years as principal of Haultain Memorial School, I find myself saying farewell to a dedicated, wonderful group of students, staff, and parents. This news is something I wish I could have shared with you before we left for summer.  However, my appointment as the new principal of Sunalta School was only made official this week.

While this new opportunity brings many fantastic possibilities for me, and there is tremendous excitement and honour in being selected to take on this new challenge, it also marks the end of six wonderful years at Haultain; years that served as my first experience as a school principal. These six years have included remarkable enrolment changes, housing two schools in one building, a community engagement process, navigating a parent association blog, a school closure, uniting a community under one school roof, high standards and resulting high achievement, a Fraser Institute award, Ends reporting, learner profiles, personalisation, and much, much more. These accomplishments were possible because of the deep dedication of parents, students, and staff alike, creating a tremendous place for students, each and every day.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my work at Haultain and am especially proud of everything we, as a school and a community, have been able to achieve on behalf of students. I know that this work will continue under the leadership a new principal once he or she is appointed. At this time, I do not know who the next principal will be.  However, I do know that they will be very fortunate to work with and learn from each of you.

I thank you for making my work so enjoyable and rewarding, and for making my job as principal so easy. The Haultain “community” is a remarkable one, and I am fortunate to have been involved with such tremendous families. I wish all of you the absolute best!

Sincerely,

Trevor Barkley

2 comments:

  1. All good wishes to Mr. Barkley on his new appointment. Trevor has left his mark on the both school and the community, and he will be missed. The good news is that our loss is another school's gain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Nick. I didn't get the original email from Mr. Barkley, so hopefully this post will get to those that missed it the first time!

    ReplyDelete