Wednesday, April 29, 2009

It's your call, kid

ADRIANA BARTON
Globe and Mail

One morning last September, Melanie Leavey's six-year-old daughter, Savannah, insisted on wearing a Halloween cat costume instead of normal clothes. She wore it all day long, and the next too. Eventually, she agreed to take off the costume so it could be washed, but the minute it was laundered, she pulled it on again. Weeks passed, then months. It wasn't until February, almost six months later, that Savannah finally decided to put the cat costume to rest.

3 comments:

  1. Good grief! I imagine it takes some time to decide what to have for supper. Changing a doctor's appointment because your child is in a pique?! Sorry but 'consensual parenting' sounds a lot like 'conflict-avoidance-so-I-can-live-stress-free' parenting to me.

    This is just old fashioned spoiling with a nifty new name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Shane! I wonder if any of the parents mentioned have teen-aged kids. KID: Mom, I have lots of homework, but I feeling down today, so I'm going to the party instead to make me feel better. Don't wait up. MOM: Have a great time and if you're tired in the morning, we'll just cancel school. Ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is definately a happy medium. I must admit, sometimes parenting by avoiding conflict to live stress free works in my family. Especially when dealing with a toddler, we have to pick and choose our battles.

    ReplyDelete