Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Parent entry for the blog


This comment was received from Ramona this morning, regarding our last council meeting:

Good morning,
I just want to keep you up to date on what I have been looking into:
I realize that during the last council meeting several proposals were brought forth including expenditure on Ipods. While I'm all for allowing children to experience new technologies in creative ways, I also like to have a balance. Why not look into some expenditures that bring active lifestyles into focus, for instance? Having worked for the Alberta Sport Council in the past gave me the opportunity to experience many of the Olympic winter sports that had training facilities at COP and Canmore Nordic Centre. Giving that next year is a big Olympic year for Vancouver and Canada in general, teaching the kids about the training involved and learning about luge, bobsled, ski jumping or biathalon may spark some future Olympians! At the very least, they would get exposure to some activities they know nothing about. I have checked the COP site to see if there are any programs/tours specifically geared towards schools. There was nothing posted, so I have sent a request for information and am waiting to hear back.

Another idea I had was with the Calgary Opera. I have vivid memories of my first experience with operas/operettas in elementary when I saw an opera company do a school version of Hansel and Gretel in Edmonton. So few children these days get exposure to classical music and opera specifically. Calgary Opera is putting on a travelling production in schools called the Barber of Barrhead. It is a one act opera adapted from Rossini's famous Barber of Seville. Set in Northern Alberta, this funny adaptation takes place on the Klondike Trail during the Gold Rush of the 1890's. The Calgary Opera site describes it as a way to entertain and educate students about Alberta history through the magic of opera. The cost is $800. It takes place from March 2-27th.
  • Specially adapted for younger audiences and performed in English
  • Fully-staged and costumed production
  • Approximate performance duration: 45 minutes. Followed by Q&A period with the cast.
  • Schools provided with a comprehensive study guide and excerpt CD to help prepare students for the presentation.
  • Total cost per performance: $800 (early bird discount available if booked before September 30)
I haven't checked yet on availability.
I'll keep thinking of ideas to submit, and will keep you up to date on what I find out.
Regards,
Ramona

Thank you for your comment, Ramona! Any and all suggestions and comments are welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. Ramona,

    I like all your suggestions.

    In addition:
    I always wondered why this school does not have a Track & Field day. Perhaps the Parent Council would consider supporting a T&F day at the school.

    The lunchroom program is short a few tables to accommodate the number of children registered. There are a large number of kids that have to sit on the floor to eat their lunch each day. Since majority of the student population are registered in the lunchroom program and also drop-ins are welcome, perhaps the Parent Council would consider purchasing a couple of tables.

    Regards,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your suggestions are great Ramona, I think an experience like the Olympics is something each child should be able to get involved in.

    And in regard to the lunchroom, it would be nice to have a milk program. I know several other schools that do it and parents I know love it, at least it's another option for kids at lunch.

    There are so many options and ideas out there it is about finding a good balance as stated before. I am just happy our school has the funding to even consider any option as so many schools do not.

    ReplyDelete